Meet MiMi Stirn
Unlocking the beauty of life through art. Resins with focus on surrealism and symbolism.
My favorite art tools are knives, however I am a resin art master. Both knives and the resin are unforgiving yet clear and finite when used. Working within the acrylic family is fun, but working with modeling paste and resin is where the art begins; free form and each application is a form of sculpting. What I love best about creating art is the freedom of expression without fear of consequence. When I am able to say a work has turned out well, is actually the moment when I can return to the finished piece over the course of several days and repeatedly be transported into the picture itself.
Gulf Coast Times, December 2016
"The result is powerful work composed of subtle shifts in tone and paint handling. Inspiring and organic in form, Stirn's work puts forth new meaning and focus on a poetic-like scene...the viewer is transported into a dreamlike type of thinking." Yohana de le Torre, Chief Editor
My style centers on both working in circular and straight line motions, while respecting Fibonacci sequences in the placement of each element. Other techniques include sgraffito and resin pours. However, bright light, layers of color, and use of metallic pigments are my standard. I hand mix my acrylics from pigments I purchase from a distributor who is part of The Society of Ochers of France, operators of the last remaining Ocher quarry in the Provence region. What I do differently from what I was taught is dirty brushing. My brushes & knives during the painting process are usually lapped with new colors without actually washing them; I love the mystery of the blends, and the picture always turns out beautiful. My favorite color on the spectrum is Prussian blue and is usually incorporated in to my skies, water scenes, and shadowing.
Short Bio: In 2010, my husband, Michael and I moved to Cape Coral Florida from Washington State. I work in my art studio in Cape Coral and when not in the studio, I am Marketing Director at FGCU at the Small Business Development Center. I hold my degree in Art and Business Administration and am a Certified Marketing Strategist through Cornell University.
CV | Gallery Viewings | Recent and Upcoming Shows
- Ongoing: Downtown Fort Myers, Bootleggers Fine Art Alley, First Friday Art Walk (Corner of 1st & Hendry)
- Ongoing: Arts for Act (Downtown Fort Myers) http://artsforactgallery.com/
- Ongoing: Select pieces of art on display and for sale at the Island Conclave, Fine Art Gallery, Pine Island, Florida. https://www.facebook.com/IslandConclave/
- March 1-31 2017 - Full Gallery Showing, Island Conclave Fine Art
- March 18-19, 2017 - 29th Annual Naples Downtown Art Festival, Full Exhibit. Top 200 Shows Sunshine Artists Best 200 Shows - http://www.naplesart.org/event/naples-national-art-festival/
- February 18-19, 2017 - 38th Annual Naples National Art Festival, Ranked in top 25 Shows - Sunshine Artists- Full Exhibit. http://www.naplesart.org/event/naples-national-art-festival/
- January 8 - February 3 - Harbor View Gallery - full show. Join me on January 10, from 6-8 p.m. for wine and art talk.
- January 7-8, 2017 - 20th Annual Hotworks - Estero Fine Art Show, Miromar Design Center - Top 100 Art Show Nationwide BOOTH # 86 - Right @ Entrance. http://hotworks.org/esterofineartshow/index.php
- December 6, 2016- Arts for Act, Full Exhibit, @Creative Arts Market, River District Downtown Fort Myers
- November 2016 - Hotworks - Estero Fine Art Show, Miromar Design Center - Top 100 Art Show Nationwide
- October 2016 - Exhibit @ Alliance for the Arts, Member's Gallery (32 piece collection)
- August 2016 - Naples Art Association, von Liebig Art Center - Member's Choice Exhibit (Showing: Reverse Horizon)
- August 2016 - Alliance for the Arts, Habitats Alliance Member Exhibit (Showing Hoolandia White Owl Acrylic and Oil)
- June 2016 - Alliance for the Arts - All Florida Exhibit (one over 300 artist selected for the 49 artists show) - Showing: Painted Dancer
- April 9-10, 2016 Paragon Fine Art Festival - Lido Key, Sarasota
- April 2, 2016 - Bell Tower Shops, Alliance of the Arts - Fort Myers
- Feb 27, 2016 – Le Marche’ Bohemian – Downtown Sarasota
- Feb 20-21, 2016 – Howard Alan Coconut Point Fine Art Festival - Estero
- Jan 30 -31, 2016 – Paragon Fine Art Festival, Fort Lauderdale
- Jan 9-10, 2016 - Cape Coral Festival of the Arts, Cape Coral
- Dec 2016 – American Art Endeavors Covey Square Art Festival, St. Peach Beach
- Nov 2015 - Artnado Fine Art Show, West Palm Beach, FL (Award – Honorably Mentioned)
- Oct 2015 – Gallery Showing - Sidney and Berne Davis Art Center, Fort Myers
- Sep 2015 – Gallery Showing - von Liebig Art Center, Naples
- Jun 2015 - American Art Endeavors St. Armand's Circle Art & Show, Sarasota
- May 2015 - Wild Child Art Gallery, Demo @ Recital, Pine Island
- Jan 2014 - Cape Coral Festival of the Arts, Cape Coral